Election inspectors are people who are paid to assist voters at the polls on Election Day. An election inspector must be a qualified and registered elector of the state of Michigan. Registered voters interested in service as election inspectors must submit an election inspector application. Bruce Township has 4 voting precincts and you may be asked to work in any precinct. In addition to their name, address and date of birth, applicants must include their political party preference and qualifications to fill the position such as education or experience.
They cannot be a challenger, candidate, member of a candidate\’s immediate family or a member of the local Board of Canvassers. Anyone convicted of a felony or an elections crime may not serve. High school students (ages 16 and above) can be appointed to be an election inspector and do not need to be registered voters, but must declare a political party and can be paid. Students cannot, however, be Election Inspector Chairpersons.
Local election commissions appoint inspectors at least 21 days, but not more than 40 days, prior to an election.
- Must be a qualified and registered elector of the state of Michigan.
- Must be 18 years of age; a person who is 16 or 17 years of age may be appointed with special conditions.
- Must be able to work be able to work from 6 a.m. to approximately 9:30 p.m. on Election Day.
- Must have transportation to and from polling location. Shall have a good clerical ability to perform duties.
- Computer experience.
Requirements & Duties
- Must fill out an Election Inspector Application.
- Attend a minimum of one training class every two years, required by Michigan Election Bureau.
- Open and close the polling place location. Set up voting booths, tables, precinct supplies and Express Vote terminal.
- Able to use a laptop computer to record voter history.
- Issue voters their ballot.
- Assist voters in any phase of the voting process.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Chairperson.
- Pay of job is $150 for the day for election inspectors and $200 for chairman for the day- you will also be compensated for training class.