More than two decades ago, on September 11, 2001, many Americans lost their lives to the “9/11” attacks. In the days and months after, many people around the country rallied to service in various ways and Bruce Township would like to pay tribute to those lost and to those who came to the aide of the country. To honor the sacrifice made that day, and the sacrifices that continue to be made by community members, first responders, and members of the armed forces and their families, we are planning a day of commemoration. Beginning at 8:46 am, the time American Airlines flight 11 crashed into the South Tower, we plan to have a moment of silence around the flag in front of the township offices. Including that moment and commemorating the other attacks, and in conjunction with The Abbey on Main, (formerly the First Congregational Church, 102 Church Street, Romeo) and Lisa and Jeff Rapp, the bells will ring with the help of Bill Miller. The bell tolling schedule and incident commemoration is as follows:
- 8:46 am: American Airlines flight 11 crashed into the North Tower
- 9:03 am: United Airlines flight 175 crashed into the South Tower
- 9:37 am: American Airlines flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon Building
- 9:59 am: South Tower collapses
- 10:03 am: United Airlines flight 93 crashes into a field near Shanksville, PA
- 10:28 am: North Tower collapses
The community is welcome and encouraged to participate.