BRUCE TOWNSHIP BOARD OF TRUSTEES NOTICE OF ADOPTION
BRUCE TOWNSHIP ZONING ORDINANCE ORDINANCE # 161-01-19
Notice is hereby given that the Bruce Township Board of Trustees adopted amendments to the Zoning Ordinance #161 at a public meeting held on Wednesday, July 17, 2019. The Zoning Ordinance shall take effect seven (7) days following the date of this publication, as prescribed by law. The amendments had the following effect:
- Cleanup amendments to move, re-codify, or consolidate several sections and articles of the ordinance without changing the regulatory effect.
- Adjust certain terminology and section titles without changing regulatory effect.
- Amend Section 2.02 (accessory building standards) to better define what qualifies as floor area and eliminate process conflicts.
- Amend Section 2.12 to clarify and strengthen standards for carnivals and similar events.
- Consolidate and tighten exterior lighting standards in one section and update the standards for modern technology.
- Clarify, consolidate, and improve the presentation of general lot requirements.
- Revise the definition of setback for greater clarity.
- Clarify and consolidate front yard definitions and standards for lots with multiple frontages.
- Update site condominium standards to clarify that standards apply to all site condominium development, and not only to residential site condominiums.
- Update Section 2.55 Medical Marijuana Uses to eliminate outdated terminology, increase the radius of prohibition around schools, day cares, parks, and places of worship, and comply with recent court rulings.
- Reduce the permitted length of a dead-end road from one mile to one half-mile.
- Amend Section 4.02 to lower the threshold for a development impact statement and clarify how consistency with the master plan is determined.
- Amend Section 5.03 to differentiate the number of required stacking spaces between different drive-through uses.
- Amend Section 5.04 to provide more guidance on how the township may reduce parking requirements when appropriate.
- Amend the intent statement of Article 6 to clarify the article’s purpose.
- Amend Section 6.00 to update the list of suggested plant materials.
- Amend Section 6.01 to reorganize sign regulations, change the regulation of temporary signs to be content-neutral in accordance with the Supreme Court’s decision in Gilbert v Reed, expand the purpose and intent statement, clarify which signs are permitted and which are prohibited, present requirements more clearly, peg lighting levels to ambient light conditions, increase the required distance between billboards, and add provisions for maintenance of signs and the treatment of nonconforming signs.
- Update the lists of permitted and special land uses in the C-1, C-2, and C-3, in part to clarify and consolidate the items in the list, and in part to adjust permitted uses in each district to more closely reflect how the districts are addressed in the Master Plan.
- Add new definitions for indoor retail establishments, personal services uses, and party stores.
- Modify the lists of permitted uses to comply with the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act. Specific terms for religious venues are replaced with the term “place of worship.”
- Amend Section 27.32 to be more specific to adult uses, rather than lumping in other land uses. 22. Amend the procedures for wireless communication towers in Section 27.38 to reflect recent changes in federal and state law. 23. Adopt standards for collection bins.
A true and complete copy of amendments may be examined at Bruce Township Hall, 223 East Gates Street, Romeo, MI 48065, during the Township’s regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM through 4:30 PM except holidays.
This notice is published pursuant to the requirements of the Michigan Zoning Enabling Act, PA 110 of 2006, as amended.
Published July 26, 2019
Bruce Township Planning and Zoning Coordinator